On this episode of High Reliability we welcome three facility management professionals to discuss Covid burnout relative to FM and the employees working in FM. There has been much said and written about Covid, but now 10 months in, we thought it would be good to check in with boots on the ground to ask how they and their team have fared.
High Reliability, The Healthcare FM Podcast is brought to you by Gosselin/Martin Associates. Our show discusses the issues, challenges, and opportunities within the Healthcare Facilities Management (FM) function and today we welcome:
Clay Ciolek is Facilities Manager at St. Peter Hospital in Olympia, WA. St. Peter is part of Providence Health & Services, a Washington-based system. Clay has more than 30 years of healthcare experience in the Pacific Northwest, and he is also the Immediate Past President of the Washington State Society for Healthcare Engineering.
Cory Majszak is Director of Facility Operations at St. Luke’s Medical Center in Milwaukee, WI. St. Luke’s is part of Advocate Aurora Health, a system based in Illinois and Wisconsin; Cory has more than 20 years of healthcare experience.
Richard Schoder was Director of Plant Ops/Safety Officer for Select Medical in Mt. Clemens, MI, until late 2020. At that time, Rick left Select Medical, he and his family relocated to North Carolina, and Rick is seeking a new healthcare facility management opportunity.
In today’s episode we discuss:
- Transitioning from biomedical engineering into healthcare facilities management (2:00);
- Covid beginnings in March 2020, what were you thinking? (5:00);
- On the importance of providing accurate information to staff and teams (11:30);
- Assessing staff outlook, March 2020 versus February 2021 (18:00);
- Managing yourself so you can manage your team (32:00);
- Shifting FM perceptions (45:00).
Thanks for listening and please subscribe to High Reliability at your favorite provider:
1) New Director Opportunities, please see
2) Join Gosselin/Martin Associates free Lunch & Learn, The Healthcare Facility Professional’s Toolbox. This program is focused solely on you and your career; here, we leave the technical training behind. In this fast-moving 45 minute session, we will touch on several areas to help make sense of the discipline today, including:
* Current state
* Trends driving industry
* Career competencies
* Resumes and interviews
* Appropriate skill mix
No matter your role – director, manager, supervisor, tradesperson – this session is for you.
3) Visit our Career Hub.
From seasoned healthcare facility management professionals to those wondering what a career in healthcare facilities management entails, there is a wealth of information on the Career Hub. You can find white papers, career ladders, core competencies, articles, resume information, podcasts, and career information on the site. Check it out now!