High Reliability, The Healthcare FM Podcast is brought to you by Gosselin/Martin Associates. Our show discusses the issues, challenges, and opportunities within the Healthcare Facilities Management (FM) function.
Today we welcome Gary Scott to the show.
Gary is Vice President, Hospital Services, at the University of Vermont Medical Center in Burlington, VT. Gary has been a healthcare facilities management professional for more than 9 years. Before he transitioned into healthcare facilities management, he worked in various high-level facilities management roles, including the Tennessee Valley Authority and the Southern Company.
Gary is a Board Member for the African Children’s Mission and has been performing missionary services in Uganda since 2009.
Gary has his Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, and he has a Masters of Business Administration.
Today’s episode is far-reaching and covers many topics beyond healthcare facilities management, but as always, including healthcare facilities management topics:
- A conversation on race, healthcare, opportunity, and COVID’s impact on minority communities, offered non-politically (4:00);
- On transitioning into healthcare (16:00);
- The most valuable lesson for a healthcare facility management professional to learn (20:00);
- Leadership pillars needed to work in a healthcare organization (29:00);
- On the African Children’s Mission and volunteering in Uganda (36:30);
- Daily life, procuring food, and volunteering with your sons (43:20);
- Repairing wells and building houses (51:00);
- Sponsoring children and expanding your family (56:00).
Thanks for listening. If you would like to donate to Gary’s work in Uganda, please see Options below. $500 can help rebuild a well for 20 years, and $250 can build a home.
Please subscribe to High Reliability at your favorite provider:
Option 1 for donation:
Send a check payable to The International Foundation. Attach a small note to your check saying that the donation is for Account 508-002 – Grants to Cornerstone/Uganda. You will get a tax-deductible receipt for your donation.
Below is the address:
The International Foundation
PO Box 23813
Washington, DC 20026-3813
This foundation charges a 4% administrative fee for processing donations and sending them to Gary’s account, so if you send $100, $96 will make it to the account.
Option 2 for donation:
Send a check payable to the National Christian Foundation. Attach a small note to your check saying that the donation is for Account 2608405 – Cornerstone Development African Fund. You will get a tax-deductible receipt for your donation.
Below is the address:
National Christian Foundation
Attn: Contribution Services
11625 Rainwater Drive, Suite 500
Alpharetta, GA 30009
This foundation charges a 1% administrative fee for processing donations and sending them to Gary’s account, so if you send $100, $99 will make it to the account.
For anyone who donates, please send Gary a text or email to ensure the funds are directed to the proper location.
For more information on the African Children’s Mission, please visit
1) New Director Opportunities, please see
2) Join Gosselin/Martin Associates free Lunch & Learn, The Healthcare Facility Professional’s Toolbox. This program is focused solely on you and your career; here we leave the technical training behind. In this fast-moving 45 minute session, we will touch on several areas to help make sense of the discipline today, including:
* Current state
* Trends driving industry
* Career competencies
* Resumes and interviews
* Appropriate skill mix
No matter your role – director, manager, supervisor, tradesperson – this session is for you.
3) Visit our Career Hub.
From seasoned healthcare facility management professionals to those wondering what a career in healthcare facilities management entails, there is a wealth of information on the Career Hub. You can find white papers, career ladders, core competencies, articles, resume information, podcasts, and career information on the site. Check it out now!