Vice President, Non-Clinical Support Services
The Bassett Healthcare Network is committed to helping the communities they serve achieve optimum health and enjoy the best quality of life possible. They accomplish this through an innovative and unique system that connects comprehensive care and services to people living throughout Central New York.
The hub of the network is Bassett Medical Center in Cooperstown, which, in addition to traditional hospital-based care such as a birthing center and inpatient medical and surgical care, also offers sophisticated outpatient diagnostic and treatment capabilities. The Medical Center is where people in the region come for advanced care, such as open-heart surgery, daVinci robot-assisted surgery, and specialized cancer treatment. This nationally recognized tertiary care hospital houses the Bassett Heart Care Institute and the Bassett Cancer Institute.
The Bassett Medical Group is comprised of a full-time, salaried staff numbering more than 400 physicians and other advanced practice clinicians who provide primary and specialty care at the Bassett Clinic and Bassett Medical Center in Cooperstown. In the region, the Bassett Medical Group also staffs over two dozen community-based primary care centers throughout eight counties. Bassett’s school-based health centers across four counties provide medical, mental health, and preventive dental care to children who might otherwise never have received this care.
The quality of Bassett’s medical education programs and its commitment to the academic mission remain high. Bassett maintains affiliations with a number of medical, nursing, and allied health programs and schools, all of which help attract clinicians to this region. The Columbia-Bassett Medical School, a hybrid program with an innovative curriculum and a course of studies focusing on ethics, evidenced-based medicine, health care systems, integration, leadership, and business management, was established in 2009 as a partnership between Bassett and the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons.
The Bassett Healthcare Network includes five hospitals and a satellite emergency department:
- Bassett Medical Center is a 180-bed, acute care inpatient teaching facility in Cooperstown, New York. It offers 24-hour emergency and trauma care, comprehensive cancer and heart care, dialysis, and most medical and surgical specialties.
- A.O Fox Hospital is a 67-bed hospital in Oneonta, providing emergency services and comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services, including cardiology and cancer services.
- A.O. Fox Hospital – Tri-Town Campus in Sidney is an emergency care facility serving the communities of Sidney, Unadilla, and Bainbridge.
- Little Falls Hospital, in Little Falls, is Herkimer County’s only provider of a 25-bed acute inpatient and emergency care, short-term inpatient rehabilitation, and other services.
- Cobleskill Regional Hospital, in Cobleskill, is a proud not-for-profit subsidiary of the Bassett Healthcare Network. The hospital is Schoharie County’s only provider of acute inpatient medical care, emergency care, and short-stay inpatient rehabilitation.
- O’Connor Hospital, in Delhi, is designated as a Critical Access Hospital licensed for 23 acute care medical/surgical beds, including extended care “swing” beds.
In addition to the acute care hospitals, the Bassett Network includes Primary Care Centers, Specialty Service Centers, Convenient Care Centers, and Long Term Care locations throughout Central New York.
As a member of the Bassett Healthcare Network Senior Leadership Team and reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Vice President of Non-Clinical Support Services is responsible for the following areas across the Bassett Healthcare Network:
· Administrative controls that ensure safety, quality, and fiscal responsibilities
· Leadership and Support for Clinical Service Line development and financial stability
· Facilities Management
· Regulatory Compliance and Government Relations
· Safety and the Environment of Care
· Capital Planning
· Bio Medical Engineering
· Real Estate
· Planning, Design, and Construction, including Master Planning
· Public Safety and Security
· Environmental Sustainability
· Project Management and Project Control Systems
· Dietary and Food Services, Environmental Services, and Linen Services
The Vice President is responsible for Master Facility Planning and the organization’s Sustainability program. The VP aligns and integrates operational improvement activities and initiatives, workforce models and work processes, and advises on key projects and initiatives. The Vice President facilitates departmental alignment of goals and deliverables in all pillars of performance: service quality, workforce development, financial performance, operational improvement, and efficiencies. The Vice President will advise, consult, coordinate, and collaborate with the VP team, across all departments, and with physicians and senior leaders.
Bassett Healthcare is a dynamic organization and the environment can be fluid. Accountabilities can often be expanded to accommodate changing patient or organizational needs and conditions, and to utilize the skills and talents of the incumbent. The Vice President will provide system-wide oversight, possessing system-level thinking and team-building capabilities. They will bring an analytical approach to leadership which will allow them to implement system-level processes. They will be comfortable with change and embrace a collaborative, communicative approach.
The Vice President will have accountability for 5 hospitals, an emergency satellite department, Primary Care Centers, Specialty Service Centers, Convenient Care Centers, and Long Term Care locations.
A Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college in Business Administration, Facilities Management, Engineering, Public Health, Social Sciences, Construction, or related field, is required. A Master’s Degree is preferred.
Ten years of progressive leadership experience in a multi-hospital system is required, as is facility management and design and construction experience. A thorough understanding of physical security and associated risks, knowledge of contractual terms and financial elements of office leases, real estate purchases and real estate sales, is required. Analytical skills to evaluate personnel and equipment, develop effective budgets, plans, and goals, and to evaluate and maintain standards of quality and safety, is required.
The Vice President must possess a visible leadership style that builds credibility and achieves positive outcomes. They must lead by example and maintain high standards, while embracing a culture of respect, mentorship, and staff development. Soft skill expertise is a must-have in the Vice President position, as is the ability to manage change and implement process across the System, collaboratively.
Covid vaccination is required.
Gosselin/Martin Associates is an established leader in healthcare consulting. The firm is a leading healthcare management recruiter and provides healthcare management skills education to facility departments in hospitals and systems across the country. If interested, please contact us at 508-660-1800.
Download and subscribe to our High Reliability podcast.