Lifespan, Rhode Island’s first and largest health system, was founded in 1994 by Rhode Island Hospital and The Miriam Hospital. A comprehensive, integrated, academic health system affiliated with The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, the Lifespan’s Health System network is composed of:
- Rhode Island Hospital, a private, 719-bed, not-for-profit acute care hospital and academic medical center founded in 1863. Rhode Island Hospital is the largest hospital in Rhode Island and is a nationally and internationally recognized research center. It is the state’s only Level I Trauma Center and houses the state’s only verified burn center;
- The Miriam Hospital is the region’s top-rated acute care hospital and received national high performing grades in 8 programs;
- Hasbro Children’s Hospital is Rhode Island Hospital’s pediatric division, offering pediatric primary and emergency care;
- Bradley Hospital was the nation’s first psychiatric hospital exclusively for children and today provides care to children and adolescents with psychological, developmental, and behavioral problems through inpatient, outpatient, and residential programs;
- Newport Hospital is an acute care hospital serving Newport and the surrounding community; it is also home to Vanderbilt Rehabilitation Center and award-winning Noreen Stoner Drexel Birthing Center;
- Gateway Healthcare provides treatment, intervention, and prevention services for adults and children with behavioral and substance abuse issues.
A not-for-profit organization, Lifespan is overseen by a board of volunteer community leaders who are guided by Lifespan’s mission: Delivering Health with Care.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of the Lifespan System, The Vice President of Facilities Services provides direction and leadership in attaining the hospital’s mission and strategic objectives related to facilities management and services. This accountability includes facilities operations; planning, design, and construction; real estate and property management; procurement and performance of energy; security; safety; parking; central transport; and emergency management. The successful candidate will develop and manage programs to ensure optimum quality of service delivery, consistent with fiscally sound practices and in consideration of the mission and values of the hospital and the Lifespan system.
This critical role will be responsible for setting the direction and managing financial, strategic, and personnel to provide a safe and supportive environment of care for patients, families, physicians, and staff. The Vice President of Facilities Services is expected to embrace Lifespan’s values of Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence as these guide the institution’s everyday activities with patients, customers, and one another.
Lifespan seeks an innovative, seasoned, collaborative leader with a strong customer service focus. He/she must communicate transparently and receive constructive input openly. An expert in the competencies of communication and delegation, the individual must be a progressive self-starter who can assist in overseeing a department that can direct, sustain, and support continued growth through innovative medical facilities operation. The incumbent must bring a collaborative approach to this and all tasks, sharing in the organization’s vision as a world-class organization focused on providing exceptional patient care and patient experience.
The successful candidate will possess a four-year Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant engineering curriculum or a closely affiliated discipline. A minimum of 10 years of related and progressive leadership experience, preferably in a healthcare setting, is required. Additionally, an MBA, Masters in Health Administration, or Engineering Degree is highly desirable.
The ideal applicant will bring a demonstrated history of effective leadership of diverse teams and the ability to think strategically. The candidate should possess a strong work ethic and the competencies to solve complex problems in a fast-paced, complex healthcare environment.
Gosselin/Martin Associates is an established leader in healthcare consulting. The firm is a leading healthcare management recruiter and provides healthcare management skills education to facility departments in hospitals and systems across the country. If interested, please contact us at 508-660-1800.